EPIC28

Playing EPIC in 28mm.

Sunday 2 June 2024

Book Reviews 'n'such

This was generously loaned to me by Admiral Drax, when I saw him last in the flesh.  It's two soft cover volumes in a slip case with interviews with some of the key people from the early years of GW, starting in Sunbeam Road.  A lot of it seems to be almost the transcripts of podcast episodes, but I might have been imagining things.
The interviewers are two of the protagonists of the time anyway, so it really is a whole load of old people trying to remember things together (I have a lot of sympathy with that) and some interesting anecdotes of where some of the more interesting ideas ("Mad Shit") might have come from.  I'm not going to buy my own copy, but it's well worth sticking your nose in if you come across it on a friends coffee table.
Dave Taylor did a book called Armies, Legions and Hordes which is absolutely fab.  Love that book.  It's success obviously got his over creative mind bubbling away again and to prevent his pot boiling over, he came up with another jolly wheeze - get artists he likes to layout some content in a coherent manner and he'll publish the books.
Now, to be fair, the people he's spoken to are all top notch artists.  And the books are produced in batches of three (why not ?) and done through Kickstarter.  So if you sign on, you can get your set in a slipcase.
The backs of the three slipcases for the first nine books/artists are here, if you want you can click the pick (thanks Inso) and it'll give you a flavour of what's inside.  Some of them I've looked at once, some of them I keep going back to.  And then I drift off and want to give up work and just finish Devos IV and stuff. 
The front cover.  These are possibly not the most affordable thing ever.  And I'd hate to recommend one just in case someone bought it and then didn't like it.  But there's a fourth one coming (volumes 10 to 12) and yeah, seeing who is featured, I'm in again.  I can stop any time I like though.
Just 'effin' stop Dave, you're killing me.
This is also a KS related book, Carbon Grey.  It's an Alt History of a very early twentieth centuary Europe.  They did a whole game system with minis and everything.  There's possibly copies of the game stuff and the fluff stuff on ebay or Noble Knight Games now, as it's a couple of years old.

 I found it quite entertaining in it's own right.  The layout, storyboarding and so on match the pacing and narrarive well enough.  There are little bits I can pinch and slide into my games background, which is what I got it for.  

I hope that someone out there found this interesting.  Back to minis next time.

2 comments: