Hello, more AFV fleet progress ! This is from Thu 11 Jul 13.
This is the Commissar's tank; Two or three coats of Tamiya Panzer Grey over Chaos Black. As he's an attachment and not part of the Unit, he gets an Imperial Eagle instead of a turret number. His armorial badge (where the sponson would be) is the two part thing from the Spaze Muhreen vehicle transfer sheet. The number '4' at the back is there 'cause the Deparmento accounts for every last cartridge, so even Commissar's tanks are registered somewhere.
"Justice Extremis" was then treated to a going over with AK Inertactive's set of filters for Panzer Grey. So firstly there was a blue filter, which went on OK, and then a blue/brown filter, more of which in a minute. Lastly were the streaks, done using the streaking solution. All of the AK Interactive stuff is spirit based, so it's back in time to white spirit to use these, but the effect is nice.
The tracks and mud are Tamiya weathering stick and then AK Interactive's Dark Earth Powder; the weathering stick applied in small circles over the track and then the powders with the brush dipped in white spirit to blend it all in. It does give a convincing mud effect, reminiscent of Cheshire clays and certain parts of the Soltau Luneberg region.
Yet to do are the hull mounted weapon and its gusset, the lamps and lenses and quite importantly, the rust; I use Mig pigment's normal rust and might look up Jeff Rust, although the rust here is going to be plastered on the exhaust and exposed pipework with a bit on the trenchrails where they would get hammered getting on and off freight trains and drop ships.
I started practicing using the filters on the Inquistorial wheels. The blue filter seemed to go on Ok, I'd never got around to putting a pin wash on this vehicle and it is, as you know, grey.
The blue/brown filter, I was a bit bolder with and plastered it on quite thickly. Now, if you've never tried a propitiatory filter, they are supposed to fade and be less noticeable once dry. Of course, I managed to turn the damn thing green (using the blue/brown filter over the blue one) and completely lost the camouflage pattern, indeed, you'd not have known it was a grey vehicle at all.
Fortunately, catching it before it was completely dry meant that a generous bath of white spirit actually washed off a lot of it and had the net effect of actually producing the desired result. Hurrah !
Which meant that work on this tank went all the more smoothly.
I also had a bit of a play once I'd finished, I ground up a bit of white chalk (you know, that white anti-dust stuff you nicked from school) and cut it with some dark brown humbrol enamel (last opened 30 years ago and still in mint condition). This went on the tracks of one of the Hellhounds. I'll have a look at later, but it went on looking the same, so here's hoping it produces a good result.