Playing EPIC in 28mm.

Wednesday, 31 March 2010


On 20 Mar 10 Col Corbane put up a post in which he commented on commenting. I'd link to it, but for some reason blogger tonight won't see its way to pasting links. Ho hum.

Anyway, When I started this project web log, the intended audience were the three other players in the campaign. I was quite surprised when Admiral Drax first commented (and pleased as well). Col Corbane pointed me to the 'from the warp' group which has helped me position my view of what I do (contextualising it's place in my life I suppose, although that does sound pretentious). I now have a few followers as well. So I'm actually quite pleased with the whole thing.

I do just wonder if the original intended audience are still looking/have ever looked.

Friday, 26 March 2010

More scenery (spelled correctly, this time)

This is the pegasus model's gothic tower with some extra bits. I've scratch built an extra floor (I know it's not full height - but I was aiming for getting it level) to display the Aqilla. And there are a set of CoD Aqilla doors on the ground floor as well.
This is it from the rear, with a CoD panel to decorate the plasticard ground floor. I'm going to try and come up with a stencil of something suitably imperium of man-ish for the blank walls. You might be able to make out the roof tile plasticard behind the tower; that'll go on the cardboard roof after the rest of it has been based and painted. And more than likely stuck together as well, the floors are still separates. I was thinking of leaving them as such so that the tower could be lowered one floor at a time as it was shot at during games. However the flying butresses, as constructed, knit into the fabric of the tower and I suspect that the extra floor will look least obviously alien to the rest of the building if its done as a whole.

This is the rest of it. You'll note that I've lost a bit and replaced it with foamboard. Ho hum.

An A4 peice of foamboard showing how it buts up against the lugs in the top of the pillars. This will be trimmed down (and the offcuts carefully shaped to fill the narrow gaps at the ends) to fit and then triangular peices cut to support the cardboard roof. I might leave the roof unsecured, so that it can taken off to simulate damage.

Sunday, 21 March 2010

Mostly Scenary

Whilst I was clearing up the garage I had all three gaming boards out together (a first !). It looks like being alright for the apocalyptic battle at the climax of the campaign. The middle board is just that - 9mm MDF.
This is the same board with frame and emulsion. Hurrah !

I suspect that this photo is upside down. It's hardboard and chopped up bits of stick (Curtosy of my helpers [the stick, not the chopping up]).

So the hardboard gets a smearing of pollyfilla and the sticks are all artfully arranged. Vostroyan officer for scale. I'll sand (ie coat with PVA and sprinkle with sand, as opposed to sanding down) and paint the pollyfilla, but the stick is good for the tabletop as it is.
This afternoon, after the sportrelief run, I had a look at my pegasus gothic buildings and have begun work on that as well. A sort of church with a separate tower.

Saturday, 20 March 2010

Not much in the way of progress

I had intended to get to grips with my airbrush. In the event I ended up spending two and half days tidying up the garage. My wheelie bin is overflowing but I now have shelf space for all that remains.

I have also put the 20x40 frame on the underside of the third 6'x4' board and given it a coat of light grey emulsion.

And collected four LRMBT and three Valks from up north, adding to the plastic crack mountain. Looking at it all is quite daunting.

So I'm off for a curry with my wife.