EPIC28

Playing EPIC in 28mm.

Tuesday 28 September 2021

Meh

 So, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7fTOsNykZw


Which is fine; a very modest group of Black Templars and a dreadnaught.  Plus the obligatory rules and lore update, which, let's face it, isn't going to deviate too far from the existing.

Regular readers will know that Devos IV started in 5Ed and has been more or less played in 5Ed since then.  

And now apparently my FW account has disappeared; I'm supposed to create a 'Warhammer!' account.  A small thing, but I liked my FW account, I liked scrolling back through the orders and seeing the long term project take shape over the years.  And be embarrassed by the amounts I've blown on the resin crack over the years.  

I've tried to use the FW website over the last few days and I've not been able to navigate to any page other than the one I started on.  Maybe the firefox ad-blocker, maybe it's just not working properly now unless you're signed into your new 'Warhammer!' account.  It doesn't really matter, I'm not going to find a way around the problem because reasons.  But things like the FW phone line, as used by all us FW customers for twenty years to get things sorted and place the occasional order during a lunchbreak has now just gone.  poof.  And no, live chat is no substitute, there is nothing in writing that can convey the sarcasm or vitriol in someone's voice. 

And there's the takedown of the independent hobby animators youtube channels and their replacement with 'Warhammer Plus' which appears to be, and it's only my opinion, check it out for yourself, shite by comparison.  'Warhammer Plus' does appear to be nothing more than an advertising tool to which the customer has to pay a subscription.  

And that takes me back to posts by the likes of Admiral Drax and others who, over the years, commented that they felt that WH40K wasn't for them any more.  Well, I'm now at the point where I'm not just 'not the target audience' but that my hobby is just not being supported anymore.  

This is fine, change is usual etc.  But yes, it does hurt a bit when the message you're getting is despite the investment over decades, they're not even going to support my hobby in any form of legacy product(s).  It must be like being WHFB player when they decided to just blow up the Old World and do away with all those decades of world building.  Oh well.  

Does this mean the end of Devos IV ?  Nah.  Like those still fielding Norse, Kislev and Nippon armies on the battlefields of the Old World, I'll keep going for the time being; back to the Inquisition next week. 

"Oh Zzzzzz ! you sad old duffer, can you see no joy in the future ?" I hear you cry, from all over the globe.  Well, there's 3D printing.  It's going to be the future of the hobby and it turns out that Mr Lee will resin print little men (for those not in the know, plastic (FDM) printers are ok for vehicles and terrain, but actual little men need to be in resin).  So it's fairly easy to see that other games systems will gradually erode GWs market share if they're not careful.  And I don't think that taking over the world and/or chucking out cease and desist orders like confetti is any sort of long term strategy for success.  It may take a couple more years, but we're already seeing the beginning of the new model for GW. 

5 comments:

  1. (like Cadia) DEVOS IV STILL STANDS!!!! And on top of it is an old Guardsman shouting GET OFF MY LAWN!

    Joking aside, my sympathies as this post read like many a rant/post of 40k despair that I've posted over the years. In the end you'll end up like me just buying and painting whatever you like which only occasionally happens to be GW stuff.

    Also yes, Warhammer+ is in fact paying for the 'privilege' to be bombarded with advertising. It seems GW is trying to reinvent digital marketing spam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My take-away from all of that (thanks to Cheef I am almost numb to these kind of complaints) is that you still only and exclusively play 5th edition! That is in fact awesome! I have stated many times that I think it was the best edition of 40k. Sure, it had it's rough spots (every edition does) but 5th felt smooth and quick compared to the VP tracking, CP focused thing the kids have today. If there is one edition I could happily go back to, it's 5th.

    DEVOS IV WILL STAND!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's been mine and the groups take for jornath. It's all been very frustrating, we will keep going, but its really a lot to deal with and it doesn't feel like they want to support this kind of hobby anymore. I'm really glad you're still going with Devos IV it is ever an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm mostly playing non GW games - most of the local club play the latest edition of 40K, and my Guard are . . . not great right now. Only so much effort you're willing to put into lugging a metal Guard army across London to get destroyed and head home again!

    That said, I've had a commission painter put together the Sisters and Deathwatch I had lying around and I'm going to give them a go in 9th edition, as it looks like they're OK. Then I can go back to accepting I'm bad at winning the game rather than blaming my tools. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least you'll always have Devos IV,not as good as Paris but you know what I mean!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete